Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Hi! We had a nice weekend, with Zach off from work. We stayed around home and put up new curtains in the bedroom. On Sunday we took a little trip by train to the shopping center called Vinawalk in Ebina (it's only two stops from us), in search of Starbucks and something yummy from one of the many bakeries. I discoverd the first time I came here that the Japanese really know how to bake. The typical shop has everything all out in the open. You grab a tray and a pair of tongs, and then you walk around and choose what you want, put it on the tray, take it to the cashier to pay, and the cashier wraps everything up for you. They have bake shops everywhere. The one we went to at Vinawalk makes these croissants wrapped around a bar of chocolate! They also have lots of hard rolls, and breads that are more like a meal, with meat and veggies and cheese baked on top. And of course, everything tastes awesome and fresh!

In my last post, Jen wanted to know how I know what to pay when I'm shopping, and thankfully I just look at the total on the cash register. So far that has worked. The Japanese are very honest people, though, so I don't have a lot of worries that I wouldn't get the right change back. They do have a different way of paying though. At every register there is a small tray, and you are supposed to put your money on the tray rather than hand it directly to the cashier. I feel so formal every time I do it!

While we were at Vinawalk, there was also a festival going on, with several different dance groups performing. Like a dork, I forgot my camera, so I don't have photos to share. The costumes were beautiful and everyone seemed to be having a really fun time.

Well, that's about it for today. Zach is back to working nights, so we're trying to adjust to his schedule change. He switches back and forth from days to nights every two weeks. Yuck, huh? I don't know how he does it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, the cash register has a nifty display just for that purpose! Why didn't I think of that! Hopefully it's not in Japanese too ha ha.

Not to be rude, but what the hell is with the military? If they're not shipping people off to Norfolk or not asking/not telling or keeping them in Iraq for years on end, they're messing with people's sleep schedules! How can anyone be productive when they're switching from days to nights every 2 weeks? Doesn't that seem a little unreasonable?? It's like they're purposely trying to make as many people miserable as possible! (End of rant, sorry.)

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I got so worked up about conditions in the military that I forgot to add: yes, the bakeries in Japan are the best I've ever seen! Fresh breakfast rolls are sooo delicious!